Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10.12.12

There's something missing from my organised life...


The more 'how to get organised' articles I read the more I realise that organising my life both thrills and terrifies me in equal measures. Thrills me because those types of articles offer my favourite thing in the world: hope. I can do that, I think and bookmark my way to sorting out my third drawer down, keeping track of those pesky socks, avoiding the paper explosion, finding the right sherpa to take me to the top of the washing pile... hope.

I purchase all the necessary tools - great wads of blu tac, nifty little notebooks, spools of labels for my pretty pink label maker and variously shaped boxes and baskets and tubs and jars.

I set up amazing systems where everything has a place and the world is calm and ordered and right.

I sit back, exhausted but with hope still shining out of me like a radiant sun and then... 

The trouble with organisation is that it takes work. Really, really hard work. Turns out that stuff doesn't put itself into the neat little tubs on cue. Every day, every day, you have to go through and put all the stuff back where it belongs. At day's end, you can't put your feet up and have a glass of whine because you haven't done your sorting today and if you don't do it today, and every single day after that, things will unravel at a speed fast enough to make Usain Bolt's head spin. You can't even cheat and throw something into the third drawer down anymore because you've got all these little boxes in there where everything has a place and there is actually no allocated place in the known world for stuff-that-doesn't-have-a-home-because-it-cannot-be-grouped-with-anything-else-in-the-known-world.

So, you've got all the Stuff that Cannot Be Grouped, but worse than that you've got Yourself Who Cannot Be Fucked.

In the red corner is all those systems I've created and in the blue there is me. I get so bloody bored putting things away in the places that I've allocated them that after a  while I just don't bother. In fact, some days the idea of having to spend another ten minutes or so regrouping everything into their neat little baskets makes me want fold myself up very neatly and put myself away in the linen cupboard.

So it piles up and eventually you've got all this stuff hanging around on the top of the very orderly, very neat system that you spent a lot of time creating. Your organisation system is effectively buried under chaos. You wonder, why did I bother creating this orderly, neat system when my house looks just as crazy as someone who never bothered in the first place? Why did I do that? Why?

All that stuff is depressing, but the idea of having to stay on top of it is even more depressing. So what's missing from my organised life is... me.

How do you get along with the organised life?




21 comments:

Bean's Mummy said...

I laughed and laughed and nodded with gusto when I read "..So it piles up and eventually you've got all this stuff hanging around on the top of the very orderly, very neat system that you spent a lot of time creating..." SAME! We bought new bedroom furniture this year and hubby said I could have all the drawers in the new dresser. We're talking 8 massive drawers of organised crafty stuff (well that is how it began). It now looks exactly like what you've described! For me, I think I need to be messy for three months, so I can really enjoy the cathartic organising ceremony that follows the messy months. And on we go...and on...and on...xx

Pink Ronnie said...

Oh Maxabella, I love how you write! You had me chuckling out loud at one point. I have to confess though - I'm a bit of an organisational/neat freak. Have been since I was ten (used to school holidays re-organising my bedroom and cataloguing newspaper articles by topic and then by date...). You're totally right though - it does take work to maintain all the systems. The (slightly) good news is that the more you do it, the (slightly) easier it gets.... there is definitely hope Maxabella!!!
Ronnie xo

kell said...

Oh thank goodness, I'm not alone! I've done nothing but de-clutter these last few weekends..couldn't even put up the Christmas tree till the cupboard where the decorations are kept was "organised". Have a good week Bron x

What Sarah Did Next said...

Oh man, do I relate to this! There are times when I'm really good at keeping it all together and others when I fall into the 'Can't Be Fucked' category. It's all about how I'm feeling as to whether or not my house is organised because God knows, the Blokes Wot Live Here don't do anything!!

Mummy Manifesto said...

I fail so much when it comes to clutter/home organisation. My hubby call my mess "anthills" because the papers and extra bits just keep piling up around the place. Another NY resolution I will fail by January 4th.

therhythmmethod said...

I think there has to be a point to doing something to make me do it. Being organised seems like such a chore - and IT IS. There is no point. It's just moving things from one place to another. Sometimes I do it and it makes me feel better, but a lot of the time I'm sitting around not being bothered. I refuse to let my third drawer down get the better of me.
That said, I do believe in systems for organising your working area. Like, where you put your butter and spreads in the morning for toast prep, how and when to fold the washing. I organise for ability to find things and freedom of movement, rather to scratch an itch for perfection.

Angels have Red Hair said...

LOL...I'm exactly the same...I've got a filing cabinet in the study that I "really needed"...it sits there relatively untouched...while on top of it is my Leaning Tower of Pisa in un-filed papers, bills, school reports etc. I keep waiting for the filing motivation to strike me...it never does!!

Corenne Tavares said...

I'm convinced that you're writing my story! ha ha! That's so me! Everytime I buy all the things that'll make me more organised, make this or that work better, and they just end up collecting dust - yay! more for me to clean! I have accepted I am ORGANISED CHAOS. Somewhere in there is my plan. I know it. It'll show itself when its ready. ;-)

anastasiastarz said...

That's how people after 20 or so years end up on Hoarders :P I have that 'draw' too, though for me it's my desk. I just dump stuff there, but it doubles as my photo 'studio' I do clean up and sort everything at the end of the week.

...Tabiboo... said...

I have mixed feelings about 'organising' too - I love the thought and 'oh' the achievement...but where to begin? That has always been my downfall.

Nina x

Lipgloss Mumma said...

Hang on...did I write this? I could have (although not as coherently). I love the feeling that it takes when I am organised, with everything in it's place neat, tidy and pretty. But god yes! It is just damn hard work!

Sara said...

Oh, NO! I refuse to be drawn into the world of little compartments, labels and order. It takes over your life don't you know? It is exactly as you say - keeping things like that takes an amazing amount of time, which I would rather spend enjoying my life. If things get too crazy, I clear out, clean up and create order, a very satisfying day's work to create order out of chaos. Until then - there are blogs to write and read, yoga to do, children to kiss, husband to hug, friends to laugh with and the whole world all shiny and new every morning :)

littlebitofthyme.com said...

great post Bron. what's wrong with a little bit of mess, especially in the areas you get creative in? says she, sitting at her computer desk, with an overlocker, pile of cds, books, material and cereal bowl in front of her. Let your self have some mess...... neatness culls creativity. well, that's what I tell myself anyway.

x

Mum on the Run said...

Ha ha ha!!!
Yep - I love being super organised - and I detest being super organised all at the same time!!!
:-) xx

Kelly Exeter said...

LOL B. I think you have to be obsessed with being organised in order to embrace everything that goes with it. Happily - I am obsessed :)

Laura said...

"So, you've got all the Stuff that Cannot Be Grouped, but worse than that you've got Yourself Who Cannot Be Fucked." Best line I have read all day.

And yes, this is absolutely me. Although I will make the system and then slowly slip back into disorganisation until the cupboards or fridge or drawers get to the point where I can't handle the mess anymore, at which point they get sorted, again. And so the cycle begins, again.

x Laura

Emily said...

Haha, this is me in a nutshell. Even if you can be bothered being organised, where do you organise all the leftover organisation tools that you don't need after doing all the organising?
My brain hurts.

Naturally Carol said...

You have just described me to a 't'! Yesterday I 'un-followed' a wonderful blog that majors on home organisation because I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't a priority for me on the scale she proclaims and all it did was made me feel guilty every time I saw another post on google reader!

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

oh i have a third draw down messy draw in nearly EVERY draw! And you know I beat myself up about it occasionally and there are things I can do good, but being organised about (as you put it) Things That Cannot Be Grouped...really, there are more imporant things I want to be doing...like holding a G & T! xx

Megan.K. said...

Haha, this is the story of me! Except I long ago gave up trying to be organised. I am just not. The end.

x

p.s I like Naturally Carol's comment - have done the same thing with the unfollow click of the too organised blogging beings ;)

rhon said...

I am equal parts terrified and hopeful that I will eventually get all of my things organized. Probably once I can afford to hire an organizer.

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me.x