Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10.11.12

Cooking with kids


You know how you see all those charming scenes in mags and on blogs where mum and the kids are lovingly baking a spot of afternoon tea together? The kids are wrapped in festive gingham aprons, mum has just a smidge of flour on her nose and, most charming of all, there isn't a mound of flour all over everything else?

It's not like that at my place. For years and years I have endured cooking sessions with the Tsunamis. They do all the wrong things, such as lick the wooden spoon while they're still stirring the batter. Fight over whose turn it is to stir the batter.Fight over who stirred the batter the most. Fling the batter madly around the kitchen while they're sorting all that out.

But, still I do it. Week after week.

I wrote a little piece for Village Voices this week that explains why... have a read because I love it, but also have a read because this particular series of posts (me on 'everyday rituals' with 'everyday crafting' by Frog, Goose and Bear and 'everyday cooking' by Local is Lovely) is sponsored by Eggs Australia and I want you to tell me what you think of 'that kind' of sponsored post. The sponsored post where we're not really talking about the sponsor much at all.

Do let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!


I'm 'resting' Grateful on my own blog lately but I'm still going strong over on VV
Having a writing job with a few different people makes keeping a blog really, really hard.



15 comments:

Miriam said...

you forgot to mention when you graciously let them break the eggs and they break them onto the edge of the bench and they slip slowly down while you pray you have another egg left (or is that just me??)
As always even in the fewest of words you entertain!

Elisa {With Grace and Eve} said...

They are the kind of sponsored posts I like and believe are best read! Off to check it out. I blogged about everyday rituals two weeks ago and it's still on my mind xx

tricia said...

I don't mind 'that kind of sponsored post' at all. I actually prefer that kind to the 'product placement kind'.

I like cooking with Little Eco - but often give her a 'decoy' task so that I can get on with the real cooking ;-)

Naturally Carol said...

You know why you do it..'cos in the end it comes back to bless you! Tonight one of mine made a delicious roast chicken dinner, complete with veges and stuffing and gravy...and what is best is that four out of the five could have done the same. To me that is so worth all of those funny messy cooking sessions we had years ago!

Naomi Ellis said...

We have been cooking with the kids for years and I let them make every mistake possible. We make a huge mess and have a great time. Some days what we are making does not even make it into the oven. Hello cookie dough! Maybe it is time for some guest posting Bron if you are feeling a little too busy with working? N x

Toni said...

That's a GREAT post.

I view cooking with the kids as a kind of torture. But they love it, and I know it's really good for them in so many ways.
Next thing on my shopping list is a pasta machine. Can you IMAGINE the mess?

Modern Day Mummying said...

My mother made Russian dumplings with my daughter the other day... Sunny loves to lick the fresh wonton wrappers that mum makes so I understand about 'all the wrong things' you're talking about :) Oh well... We just make sure we cook those ones for Sunny to enjoy :)

Sophie xo

G said...

I used to cook with my little sister by placing her on the bench and making her honey sandwiches to keep her occupied while I baked. And of course licking the spoon!

I think that as long everyone just remembers that people doing sponsored posts are doing so for a good reason - to support their family - and that if they don't like it they can just not read it - then it's fine, and its always fine. I never really understood people who had issues with sponsored posts.

x

Bright Precious said...

I admire that you're willing to get messy and frustrated in order to give your kids this experience. Truly. I must admit that I don't cook often with them (actually, at all - but that's another story) - mainly because it's too overwhelming. I hope I can get to the point of doing it, because like your VV post says, its what your children say it means to them that's important. :)

Lipgloss Mumma said...

Oh yes, much the same at our place. But it is all good fun. It's the icing that sends me into a spin!

jody said...

You I know I love cooking with the kiddies, but it often ends up just as you described. Loved the post too by the way. xo

Mrs Average said...

If its well written then who cares if it is a sponsored post. You wrote about a subject that is still real to you. Obviously had to check it out and then comment there!!

Local is Lovely said...

Hi Bron - I have LOTS OF cooking disasters with my two. Most recently we were invited to a pizza party with a few friend where the dough was being worked al fresco by a big electric mixer. My two-year-old Tom decided to throw in a few handfuls of dirt to spice things up so we ended up having to drive 40 mins in to town to buy more flour etc...not sure if we'll be invited back soon!

Kymmie said...

Oh, you poor love. It's hard enough just running your own blog, let alone a whole section of a major website! You're a star Bron! As for cooking at our place. Yes, sounds the same as at your place. Instead, there are usually six little hands in the mixture. You can imagine that we don't share the end result to many people outside of that finger circle!

Off to visit you at VV. xx

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen said...

Bron, that's a perfect post, in your voice and style.
I'm the mum who is not a natural cook, but thankfully Bell takes after John, and loves cooking. She makes the best scrambled eggs xx

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me.x